Summon: Search across the library’s collections...

or access the Advanced Search Catalog Databases or eJournals directly

Digital Case



Object Summary

Full Record

Title:

CLEVELAND WATER CURE ESTABLISHMENT
The encyclopedia of Cleveland history
Alternate title: The dictionary of Cleveland biography

Creator:

Grabowski,John J.
Van Tassel, David D. (David Dirck), 1928-

Date:

1997-06-25

Source:

http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=CWCE

Subject:

Cleveland (Ohio) -- History -- Encyclopedias
Cuyahoga County (Ohio) -- History -- Encyclopedias
Cleveland (Ohio) -- Biography -- Dictionaries
Cuyahoga County (Ohio) -- Biography -- Dictionaries

Publisher:

Cleveland, Ohio : Case Western Reserve University

Format:

text/html

Title:

CLEVELAND WATER CURE ESTABLISHMENT
The encyclopedia of Cleveland history
Alternate title: The dictionary of Cleveland biography

Creator:

Grabowski,John J.
Van Tassel, David D. (David Dirck), 1928-

Date:

1997-06-25

Source:

http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=CWCE

Subject:

Cleveland (Ohio) -- History -- Encyclopedias
Cuyahoga County (Ohio) -- History -- Encyclopedias
Cleveland (Ohio) -- Biography -- Dictionaries
Cuyahoga County (Ohio) -- Biography -- Dictionaries

Publisher:

Cleveland, Ohio : Case Western Reserve University

Format:

text/html

Description:

The CLEVELAND WATER CURE ESTABLISHMENT, founded in 1848 by Dr. Thos. T. Seelye, was a combination sanitarium and resort for the treatment of various ailments and diseases through HYDROPATHY. Such establishments became fashionable in the U.S., particularly in Ohio and New York, during the 1840s and 1850s. Seelye built his sanitarium, a 3-story brick building, near a soft-water spring in a wooded glen between Wallingford Ct. and Sawtell Ave. (E. 51st St.). In a rural setting, the sanitarium was known for its beautiful landscaping, including curving walks and drives. The Cleveland Water Cure specialized in "treatment of diseases peculiar to females," including ailments related to childbirth. In 1851 the charge for "board, medical advice, and all ordinary attendance of nurses" was $8 per week, payable weekly. In addition to hydropathy, diet and exercise were also emphasized. Despite the disapproval of many Cleveland physicians, the Cleveland Water Cure enjoyed a regional popularity for nearly 2 decades. In 1868 it was sold to a national Jewish organization for $25,000 and became the Jewish Orphan Asylum (see BELLEFAIRE).

Contributor:

Cleveland Bicentennial Commission (Cleveland, Ohio)
Western Reserve Historical Society

Identifier:

ksl:ech-cwce

Rights:

Kelvin Smith Library, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, provides the information contained in Digital Case, including reproductions of items from its collections, for non-commercial, personal, or research use only. All other use, including but not limited to commercial or scholarly reproductions, redistribution, publication or transmission, whether by electronic means or otherwise, without prior written permission is strictly prohibited. For more information contact Digital Case at digitalcase@case.edu.


Viewing Results for items within ksl:ech-cwce
1
1 -1 of 1 items

Link
title: CLEVELAND WATER CURE ESTABLISHMENT
Date Added: 9/18/2006 6:03:53 PM
URL: http://hdl.handle.net/2186/ksl:ech-cwce/link

Campus Network
Connected

Kelvin Smith Library | 11055 Euclid Avenue | Cleveland, OH 44106-7151 | 216-368-3506