KSL News

Course Reserves


Reserves are supplementary course materials that Case faculty and staff put on hold for Case students to use.  These materials are located at the Service Desk of Kelvin Smith Library and are only accessible during desk hours



  • You must have a valid CWRU ID card and fines must be $15 or under for any student, staff, or faculty to check out reserve items.
  • Overdue fines for reserve materials accumulate at $1 for every hour.
  • A student wanting to check out an item longer than the assigned loan period must secure permission from the Instructor and ask them to email the Reserve Staff at smithreserve@case.edu.


  • KSL Course Reserves accepts books, media and personal copies of items. Request to purchase items not found in the campus collection are also accepted.
  • Items must be reserved through the online form below (accessible via the Course Reserves Submission button below), or if using personal items, can be dropped off at the Service Center desk at KSL.  For logistical reasons we cannot accept submission requests through e-mail at this time.
  • Items must be reserved each semester via the online form for each semester they are needed.  
  • KSL Course Reserves does not accept any photocopied materials. Faculty should please go to Canvas, the online Learning Management System utilized by faculty and students across the CWRU campus, to upload course materials.
  • KSL does not purchase required books for classes. Faculty are welcome to place a personal copy on reserve or speak to their KSL Research Services librarian for possible other options.
  • Items checked out by other borrowers may not be readily available. To best ensure item availability, faculty is strongly encouraged to plan ahead and make Course Reserve submissions early.
  • The number of items that may be placed on reserve is limited to 12.
  • Items submitted may take 3 - 5 business days for processing, especially during peak times of operation at the beginning of each semester, so submit your request early. Items are processed on a first come first serve basis.
  • Submissions for each semester are accepted at the start date listed below:
    • Fall Semester: July 1
    • Spring Semester: November 1
    • May Term: March 1
    • Summer Semester: April 1


Frequently Asked Questions

1.  How can I have a TA or graduate assistant submit items for reserve?

An email should be sent to smithreserve@case.edu with the Course number the student is to have access to and the student’s name and network ID.  The instructor and student will be notified when this process is complete.

2.  Can I submit photocopies of articles and book chapters to KSL Course Reserves?

KSL Course Reserves does not accept any photocopied materials. Faculty should please go to Canvas, the online Learning Management System utilized by faculty and students across the CWRU campus, to upload course materials.

3.  How fast can I expect my Course Reserves submission to become available to students?

 Once the request has been properly submitted, average turn-around time will take 3 – 5 business days. There is no rush service and submissions are processed in the order they are received.

4.  How long will it take to acquire items requested for purchase?

Items requested for purchase take 2-3 weeks to acquire. Rare or out-of-print items may take a little longer.

5.  Will the library purchase a copy of the textbook for my class?

Required books for a class, as a general rule, are not purchased by the library. If an Instructor has a legally acquired copy of a course text they are willing to supply, we can accept it as a Personal copy for student use.

6.  Where can I add electronic reserve material for my class?

Faculty looking to add supplement electronic material may do so in Canvas.

7.  What can I do if I wish to add an item to my reserves that is already reserved for another class?

You should first check with the instructor where that item currently resides. Once permission has been secured from the originating professor, send an email to the Reserve Staff at smithreserve@case.edu so that the item can be booked for your class showing.

8.  Can I have items for a class I teach every (Fall/Spring) semester automatically roll over without filling out the online form?

Reserve items will need to be reserved through the online form for each semester they are needed.  The submission software we are using does not have an automated re-submit option at this time.  In the meantime, the best way to ensure that reserve items are being held for your class is to make an online submission each time they are needed.  

Questions and Comments

If you have any questions about Course Reserves or how to make submissions, please contact KSL Course Reserves at smithreserve@case.edu.  We are more than happy to assist you and always welcome your questions, comments, or suggestions.

Services FAQ

Can I print at KSL? What does it cost & how do I pay?
KSL computers link to 2 high speed, high volume printers. All printing costs 5 cents a page, and you can pay with with your CaseOneCard, coin, $1 or $5 bills. Printers are on the main floor and second floor, across from the elevators.  For locations, check our Maps.
Can I photocopy at KSL? What does it cost & how do I pay?
KSL photocopiers are on the main floor, third floor, and Lower Level, so you can photocopy books and journals. Copies cost ten cents a page on digital copiers, and you can pay with your CaseOneCard, coin, $1 or $5 bills.  For locations, check our Maps.
How do I know what's new and what new books there are?
Read the KSL News Blog for events, services, tools & more, that help you do research. Find it on the library homepage. New Books can either be an RSS alert for your subject area or you can browse the New Books Display on the 1st floor of the Kelvin Smith Library.
Where do I get change? / Is there a Change machine?
Use your ID as your cash, not coins & bills. KSL does not give change & asks you to plan ahead for printing and copying. The copiers & printers take $1 & $5 bills and coins, and will give change for a copy/print when there is suffficient change in the machine. Plan ahead! Activate your CaseOneCard ID if you are a staff member, faculty, or grad student.
Where are the Bathrooms?
KSL bathrooms are on all floors, always behind the elevators.  Check our  for more information.
How do I get a library card?
Your Case ID is your library card if you are enrolled or employed at Case. The first time you use it, staff will swipe it on a library computer to activate your library account and then you can use your ID at any Case library or OhioLINK member library, if your account is in good standing.
Is there a book drop? Is there a drive-up book drop?
KSL has a book drop in the front of the building, under the covered portico, on the Thwing Center side of the Main Doors. Currently, there is no drive-up book drop. The KSL bookdrop is open when there are no Regular Business Hours–when KSL is open, bring your items to the inside book drops. Videos & DVDs must be returned to staff at the Main Service Desk so the are not damaged in bookdrops.
Can I fax something at KSL?
KSL does not have fax services but Thwing Center, next door, does in Printing Services. Stop in weekdays 8-5:30 p.m. for information about fees, etc.
Does KSL have a SelfCheckout Machine? When can I use it?
KSL’s 3M SelfCheckout machine is on the Main Service Desk and can be used whenever you are in KSL! (You must have used your Case ID card at least once before at a Case library for a regular checkout with staff, so your ID data is swiped into the system.) Use SelfCheckout during 24×7, or whenever you need to save time.
Can I checkout the CPL@Case-KSL books and magazines on the KSL SelfCheckout?
Use the CPL SelfCheckout machine nearby the CPL@Case-KSL collections, with your CPL library card. The KSL SelfCheckout machine reads only Case ID cards and Case barcodes.

View All FAQs

Kelvin Smith Library | 11055 Euclid Avenue | Cleveland, OH 44106-7151 | 216-368-3506