KSL News

Every first-year student is matched with a team of two Personal Librarians, who are dedicated to helping students succeed with research and class projects.  For example, a PL can assist students with identifying the best resources and formulate search strategies, and connecting students with library experts in different subject areas.  The PL will provide assistance any time of the year, even when the student is on break!

How can my Personal Librarian help me?

  • Help you find your way around the library [Where is something? Who to talk to? Is this available?]

  • Keep you informed with periodic email messages highlighting resources and programs for students

  • Answer your questions about library policies, procedures, and services. [How do I renew? How do I pay a fine? How do I view my library record?]

  • Assist you in working on research assignments so that you can conduct your own research and prepare research papers. [What databases to use? How to search for resources? How to narrow a topic?  How to organize your content? How to cite accurately?]

  • Provide referrals for information about who on campus to contact for other services, such as technology and computer help, writing advice, tutoring, and more.

  • Provide assistance at any time of the year, even when you are on break!

Things we can offer referrals for but not directly do:

  • Make photocopies. The library does have scanners you can use.

  • Set-up computer accounts or software. We can guide you to UTech assistance.

  • Do your research or write/edit your paper. We can help find sources and talk through the research process. We can refer you to people in the Writing Center.

  • Replace advising roles of any other department on campus.

Who is Your Personal Librarian (PL)?

  • Personal Librarians for students who are first-years in 2018-19:

    • Cedar Residential College: Mark Clemente & Mark Eddy

    • Juniper Residential College: Brian Gray & Evan Meszaros

    • Mistletoe Residential College: Jen Starkey & Yuening Zhang

    • Clarke Residential College: Daniela Solomon & Jennine Vlach

    • Magnolia Residential College: Jacey Kepich & Karen Oye

    • Commuter Students: Jen Starkey & Yuening Zhang

  • If you enrolled in 2017-2018, see the Personal Librarian Assignments (2017-2018)

  • If you have declared a major, you also have a Research Services Librarian (RSL) assigned to you that is an expert in advanced research needs for your discipline

Services FAQ

Can I print at KSL? What does it cost & how do I pay?
KSL computers link to 2 high speed, high volume printers. All printing costs 5 cents a page, and you can pay with with your CaseOneCard, coin, $1 or $5 bills. Printers are on the main floor and second floor, across from the elevators.  For locations, check our Maps.
Can I photocopy at KSL? What does it cost & how do I pay?
KSL photocopiers are on the main floor, third floor, and Lower Level, so you can photocopy books and journals. Copies cost ten cents a page on digital copiers, and you can pay with your CaseOneCard, coin, $1 or $5 bills.  For locations, check our Maps.
How do I know what's new and what new books there are?
Read the KSL News Blog for events, services, tools & more, that help you do research. Find it on the library homepage. New Books can either be an RSS alert for your subject area or you can browse the New Books Display on the 1st floor of the Kelvin Smith Library.
Where do I get change? / Is there a Change machine?
Use your ID as your cash, not coins & bills. KSL does not give change & asks you to plan ahead for printing and copying. The copiers & printers take $1 & $5 bills and coins, and will give change for a copy/print when there is suffficient change in the machine. Plan ahead! Activate your CaseOneCard ID if you are a staff member, faculty, or grad student.
Where are the Bathrooms?
KSL bathrooms are on all floors, always behind the elevators.  Check our  for more information.
How do I get a library card?
Your Case ID is your library card if you are enrolled or employed at Case. The first time you use it, staff will swipe it on a library computer to activate your library account and then you can use your ID at any Case library or OhioLINK member library, if your account is in good standing.
Is there a book drop? Is there a drive-up book drop?
KSL has a book drop in the front of the building, under the covered portico, on the Thwing Center side of the Main Doors. Currently, there is no drive-up book drop. The KSL bookdrop is open when there are no Regular Business Hours–when KSL is open, bring your items to the inside book drops. Videos & DVDs must be returned to staff at the Main Service Desk so the are not damaged in bookdrops.
Can I fax something at KSL?
KSL does not have fax services but Thwing Center, next door, does in Printing Services. Stop in weekdays 8-5:30 p.m. for information about fees, etc.
Does KSL have a SelfCheckout Machine? When can I use it?
KSL’s 3M SelfCheckout machine is on the Main Service Desk and can be used whenever you are in KSL! (You must have used your Case ID card at least once before at a Case library for a regular checkout with staff, so your ID data is swiped into the system.) Use SelfCheckout during 24×7, or whenever you need to save time.
Can I checkout the CPL@Case-KSL books and magazines on the KSL SelfCheckout?
Use the CPL SelfCheckout machine nearby the CPL@Case-KSL collections, with your CPL library card. The KSL SelfCheckout machine reads only Case ID cards and Case barcodes.

View All FAQs

Kelvin Smith Library | 11055 Euclid Avenue | Cleveland, OH 44106-7151 | 216-368-3506